Does it exist?
We think it does... in fact it happens all the time! There are ten simple steps to the perfect excavation:
- The excavator gets a job request, visits the site, and marks proposed excavation locations with white paint.
- The excavator completes a Location Request Information Sheet and calls in the stakeout request to Dig Safely New York.
- The Dig Safely New York customer service representative takes the information, and gives the excavator a reference number and list of members notified. The excavator records the information on the Location Request Information Sheet.
- The excavator notifies any non-member utilities and reminds them to join Dig Safely New York so the excavator will not have to contact them separately in the future.
- Each member utility either clears or marks their facilities at the proposed excavation site.
- Each member utility contacts the excavator to inform them of a complete stakeout or to request a meeting. The excavator checks off the response from each utility on the Location Request Information Sheet.
- The excavator begins work on the scheduled date and time, taking care to preserve any underground facility markings.
- When digging near a buried facility, the excavator observes the tolerance zone around the facility.
- To avoid damage, the excavator provides proper support and protection when exposing a facility.
- When the excavation is complete, the excavator provides proper backfill for any facilities previously exposed.