Dig Safely New York’s location request services are free. Simply dial 811 or 1-800-962-7962 to reach our call centers, located in East Syracuse and Latham, NY. Our Customer Service Representatives (CSRs) are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, to receive calls regarding planned excavation projects. You can also submit a location request online using i-notice and Single Address Ticket.
Click here to learn more about i-notice or watch our video:
What will you need when you place your location request?
Whether you call or place a location request online, Dig Safely New York will need the following information in order to create a location request.
- Home/property owner’s name and telephone number
- Caller’s name
- Contact name, telephone number, and e-mail address for questions and stakeout results
- County and municipality of planned excavation according to legally incorporated municipal boundaries (Note: this is not always the city of that location's postal address)
- Street address of excavation location
- Name of nearest intersecting street on either side of excavation location
- Date and time excavation is scheduled to begin
- Expected duration of excavation
- Description of where on property excavation will take place, including distance from road
- Type of work to be performed (e.g., blasting, drilling, directional boring)
- Type of equipment to be used to perform work
- Approximate size of excavation area (length, width, depth)
- Any special instructions
Once the required information is gathered, you will be provided with:
- A serialized reference number that you and the member utilities can use to refer to this request
- A list of member utilities that will receive the stakeout request
Keep this information for your records, so you can confirm your request and that you have received a response from all notified member utilities prior to starting your work. You can use your ticket number and the telephone number provided to the CSR to check on our Automated Positive Response (APR) system to see the status of utility responses at any time. Your call to Dig Safely New York is recorded and archived should any questions arise.